Monday, June 22, 2009

Queenright

For those of you following the soap opera that is my hives, I checked on the bees today.

We have BABIES!! Trey's daughter, who is currently nameless, has larvae and lots of them! I snuck in the hive today in a brief break in the rain and took a look. The bees were packed but that is to be expected since they haven't had decent bee weather. I only looked at two frames and there were lots of larvae of various ages.

After my workshop training I am confident that the biggest larvae are five to six days old. Now the colony can be called queenright where there is a healthy, mated queen laying a lot. Whew!

So any suggestions on her name?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is so cool. I am so excited to find your blog. Do all beekeepers name their queens?

    How about naming your new queen June? :-)

    Roberta
    http://blog.growigwithscience.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. June is a great name! I went with Sum - Mandarin for three. We have another queen on the way - daughter of Hope. Got any suggestions for her name?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and checking on the bees!
Let me know what you are thinking...