Monday, January 31, 2011

Snow Day!

In New England we have a lot of snow right now. I mean a LOT of snow - over three feet on the ground and where to put the snow is becoming a critical issue. The snow is quite the issue for the bees too - their hives are quite covered with snow. It acts as a good insulator as long as the entrance is open.


You can see where I've had to go in and shovel out the bees. I like to keep the lower entrances open even though they also have an upper entrance. This keeps the flow of air going in the hive and keeps the bees from freezing if they happen to get damp.

I just had abdominal surgery at the beginning of the year and this was the first spot I shoveled. While my incisions are healed, my stomach muscles assured me they had not fully knitted back together. Nice to know that there is still plenty of snow coming this week so I can continue to build back strength in my belly!

And while it breaks my heart to find dead bees at the entrance to each hive, I am content to know that this is an indication of live bees on the inside. So for the moment, all three hives are alive. I can only hope that the next few storms - because it is still January - will go gently on the bees.

Think warm thoughts!



2 comments:

  1. Have you inspected your hives yet to see if any of them are alive? I had 1 dead out (of 3) so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Steven~
    I am sad to read about your hives - it is always heartbreaking to loose a hive.

    While I have not opened any of the hives, the fact that bees are flying out of the hives means there are live bees inside. At least enough bees alive to fly out after a disturbance.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and checking on the bees!
Let me know what you are thinking...