Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cold snap

With the very cold weather, I am especially comforted by the extra insulation on the hives. Now I wish I knew if the bees felt the same way!


Although other beekeepers I know had a 50' day recently allowing their bees to get out and pee, we haven't gotten over 45'. The girls must be crossing their legs!


I do know right now that there are live bees in each hive. All three hives have dead bees on the door step. Bees will throw out any dead bees - so either these bees were tossed out or they flew out and got stuck. Either way, it is a good sign albeit a sad one.


Send some warm thoughts to the bees and keep your fingers crossed that they are warm and toasty in their blue homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting and checking on the bees!
Let me know what you are thinking...